Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Depression

I think I finally need to come to terms with my depression.  My mom's been gone more than five years, and it's taken me this long to really admit it.  My life is amazing, and I am truly happy.  Yet this depression keeps creeping in, making me tired and useless.  I'm a housewife with many hours in my day, and I don't get nearly enough done.  Waking up is hard.  Getting showered and dressed is hard.  Doing chores around the house takes forever.  I need this to change.

It's not all about my mother.  My weight is the other issue; having been thin till age 21, being 75 lbs. overweight at age 29 is horrifying to me.  I hate myself, I hate my body, I hate my lack of motivation and willpower.  I need to stop the self-hate cycle.

I know I need therapy.  I've steadfastly avoided it for years, and I think I finally know why.  My ex-boyfriend, the one I was with for six years that messed me up pretty bad emotionally, was a psychology major.  Through college, he was constantly giving "therapy" to others.  I associate it with him and want nothing to do with it.  In a lovely catch-22, therapy would help me get over that.  I need to bite the bullet on that issue and just go.  This is not easy for me to admit.

I miss my mother every day.  I miss having parents in general.  I hate my dad for leaving us, but want nothing to do with him because he is such a horrible person.  I love my in-laws and my aunt and uncle, but it's not the same.  No one can ever replace the experience of having two parents in my life that have known me since birth and love me unconditionally.  I draw into myself because I don't want to burden people with my problems.  I could let it all out to my parents, and they would comfort me.  I miss that more than anything.

My mother wasn't perfect, but she was my mother.  I need to learn to live without her, and to do that, I need help.

2 comments:

  1. Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it.
    -- Helen Keller

    As I told Simon this evening, I'm glad that you have come to this realization. It takes a great deal of courage to admit that you need, and to ask for help. May this be the first step on your journey to recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you've come to this conclusion, I think therapy would be beneficial for you. Maybe you can address your crowd anxiety too.

    I think you should associate therapy w/ me instead of Chris cuz I've been in it forever and I'm cooler anyway. O:)

    Yeah, not having parents sucks. This time of year is especially hard. Let me know if u wanna talk or anything. I can also ask Eden if she can recommend anyone on the North Shore.

    Lots of <3

    ReplyDelete